Makes 4-6 servings – Crunchy and moist…this is delicious fried chicken!
- 2 2½ to 3 pound fryers, cut in eighths -OR- 4-6 skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup dark Jamaican rum (regular or spiced)
- 3 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup dark soy sauce
- 1 egg white
- ½ teaspoon minced ginger
- Flour for breading
- Peanut or vegetable oil for frying
- Shortening (optional)
- Wipe the chicken pieces with a clean damp towel and place them in a deep, glass mixing bowl.
- Combine the rum, oil, soy sauce, egg white and ginger and pour over the chicken.
- Cover loosely and marinate for at least 2 hours, turning pieces once or twice.
- Drain each piece momentarily. Roll in flour and shake off excess.
- Fry in about 1inch hot oil (with a little shortening added) until the chicken is tender and nicely brown on all sides.